Tuesday, 21 August 2012

Audience research for Horror trailer - Questionnaire

A few days ago, I created a questionnaire using the very helpful service "SurveyMonkey". The purpose of the questionnaire was to find out what my target audience liked about horror films and if any of the ideas Campbell and I have thought about would be relevant. After creating the questionnaire, I posted a link on FaceBook as I knew that this would be the quickest and most effective way of collecting data. However I still knew that I wouldn't get many responses as my questionnaire involved going through to a website which people don't always want to do. This is why I made most of the questions multiple choice and I only asked the most important questions which were relevant to our Horror film trailer.
Here is the questionnaire and the results I received (7 people completed it)

1. Do you like apocalypse styled horror films?
Yes
100.0%7
No 0.0%0
2. What factors enhance your enjoyment of a horror film? (multiple answers accepted)
Blood and gore
42.9%3
Shocking images
14.3%1
Physiological factors
42.9%3
"Jumpy scenes"
71.4%5
Twisted endings
57.1%4
Darkness
14.3%1
Maturity 0.0%0
Fight scenes
57.1%4
3. Does action and horror in one film appeal to you?
Yes
100.0%7
No 0.0%0

4. What country do you think should be the cause of the threat?

Afghanistan  
21/8/2012 16:07
Iceland
21/8/2012 1:28
North Korea
20/8/2012 14:17
England!!
20/8/2012 13:58
Ghana
20/8/2012 13:58
Germany
20/8/2012 13:10

5. Finally if you ever saw i Am Legend, did you like it?
Yes
85.7%6
No 0.0%0
Never saw it
14.3%1
After analysing the results, I have gathered a reasonable amount of information to make some decisions on the creation of the horror film trailer. The most popular features that people want to see in a horror trailer are: blood and gore, psychological factors, JUMPY SCENES, fight scenes, and twisted endings. Fortunately, the majority of these factors have already been thought about by myself and Campbell which is why I think we will go ahead and try to implement them in the horror trailer. Likewise, we will definitely include action in the trailer as 100% of people agreed that a hybrid of action and horror works very well. In terms of what country will be the enemy, we are still unsure as all of the answers were different and we also need to be careful due to the sensitivity of certain countries. This factor will be announced at a later date.

1 comment: